RSS Feed Print
Where is everyone? Speak up, you guys!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 7:52 PM

*snort* I couldn't think of a better word than 'hulk', and sometimes you have to get the words on the page, so you can run the idea up the flagpole and see who salutes.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 3:00 AM

@Angela--I owned a first generation Kindle, getting it shortly after Amazon started making it. For Christmas, I received the Kindle Fire. I love it. I like how the pages of the books look. I love how the newspapers look. I love that I can get magazines now.

The only thing I don't like? The reliance on the WiFi as I could use the internet on my old Kindle anywhere, WiFi connection or not. My mother has that one now, though.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 3:19 PM

This is what happens when I spend two days away from my computer! Almost two pages without my blabber mouth. And to think I was almost adjusted to this whole extreme photosensitivity thing. As if it wasn't hard enough to type with these fingerless gloves on. Excuse me as I go express my rage to the sun.

Now where was I? Oh yes. I still have a first generation Kindle. As much as I love it, my paper obsession still gets the best of me. I have a tendency to by paper books of ones I can get much cheaper digitally. I do find that it does come in handy for my friends who publish independently.

Text speak. Yup, totally AIM. My father asked me once in middle school what the use of the abbreviations were. My mom said, "Code breaking." To think that adults everywhere thought it would be a fad.

As for all the readers and very little actually posted. My answer is that it just means more for me. The more eyes skimming little posted benefits us that do put work up.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 4:02 PM

I'm with LeeAnna on the love of paper thing, as un-green as it might be. As a former reporter, I still prefer to read my news in the form of the actual printed variety (while it still exists, sadly), and love the smell of musty books and the feel of brittle, time and weather-worn pages. Realistically speaking, though, I too got an early Kindle (probably second or third gen) because I ran out of storage space for my books and realized I needed to join the new century. I even *gasp* have a new iPhone. I love my ebooks and cool new phone. I just have to figure out how to use it. Eep.
Rachel Russell
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:17 AM

There's something satisfying about reading a paper book. I enjoy the weight in my hands, I like the way the ink stains my fingertips, and I love the smell. (I'm a weirdo, so sue me.)

That being said, I find my Kindle ridiculously useful. I've spent entirely too much of my life on the computer (I've been actively writing *online* for about fifteen years now), and I don't have the best wrists in the world anymore. I can throw down an amazing 144 wpm, but that doesn't really help me hold a heavy book for hours on end.

I read primarily epic fantasy, and if you're familiar with the genre then you know how god-awfully huge the books can be. I mean, those suckers weigh several pounds. After holding something like that for several hours, my wrists really start to hurt. That's where the Kindle is amazing. I can hold this virtually weightless item, and still read a book that is for all intents and purposes "heavy".

Thank you technology.  <3
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:28 AM

I actually don't use the kindle itself anymore. I've taken to using the app on my phone more since when I want to read I don't usually have the device with me. I actually talked one of my professors into getting one about a year ago. He had books on the floor, climbing up his walls, and all over his desk. Let me just say that he was grateful for the advice.
Charl F king
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:24 AM

Oi vey, I see I'm still out of it. It was you asking the question, Mimi. LOL and Carl has a new book, not a revised one. Think I should just go back to bed
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:41 AM

I really learned to love my Kindle when I started working. I'd read at lunch time and it was easier to do so while eating when the Kindle laid flat on the table. I just had to hit a tab to turn a page.
Charl F king
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:51 AM

Bloody hell, I am so not tracking. I've read that book of yours, Carl. I got a notice saying it was new.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:32 AM

@Charl: Not sure what happened there, but glad you got it sorted out.
Alantis
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:22 AM

Well it would appear that this was started and then even the few "familiar faces" found a new frontier to forge ahead to, BUT I, being ever the bloodhound, searching for survivors, will lay down the trail for any still lurking to follow back to this thread so we may once again converse, as our ancient forefathers and mothers did.

I am a new writer (well maybe writer is too prestegious a word), humble scribbler, here on BC and am just trying to lock onto the trail of the brilliant minds that are promised throughout, yet I only seem to glimpse the remnants of their passing. Oh I have no doubt that they once populated these shinny, white pages. But the only way I can be sure of this, is the scrawling works left behind to tease me with what I missed.
Like the Spanish who came to America in search of the city of gold, El Derado, I seem to only chase the whispered memories of the fabled writers, as they this city, doomed to die alone on foreign soil without ever finding the promised land or succeding in finding myself amoungst the greater minds, to bask at their feet in the hopes of taking in some of their wisdom.

Whoa to the future generations should I fail in my endeavor. For with each passing day, the elements of Mother Earth continue to abscure their passing. An unwavering force, this nature, that claims all things back into herself. The trail, and some of the writings themselves, will soon be lost to us, as will the memory of the great scribe who put his pen to paper in this ancient past.

I beseech you, do not allow your passing to go unchecked. Step out from the shadows and reinvigorate the future generations. Ensure that the memory of a once great site, filled with wisdom, with great works, with the spark of creativity still alive in its' chest, does not fall to the wayside. It is not too late. Just as the God's breath gave life to the dust that the first man and woman sprang forth from, a renewed post or comment would bring back this thread, and possibly the site, from the ashes of a glorious past and restart the age of enlightenment. But it is you, and only you, that can determine the fate of those that come after you. Are you to be as the lifeless corpse who rots slowly on the table, waiting to return to the earth, and soon gone from memory itself? Or are you going to be as a new babe, sprung forth from their mother's womb, kicking and screaming for attention, with a refusal to be ignored? Screams that demand that your place be recognized and acknowledged? Screams that promise the world of your coming greatness? A scream that is heard, and felt in the very core of our being, that assures us you are alive and will not go unnoticed.

I await the scent of those who would be as the later. I shall sit and sniff the air for any fleeting whisp of their scent, so that I may run, till my lungs explode and beyond, to their side, so as not miss another moment amoungst those treasured and talented writers who once populated these pages. Do not make me sit for long. For should the need to not just track, but to actually hunt, for those scribes arise, I assure you then, I will be an entirely different beast once we meet. The tracker who searches for survivors will rejoice at finding a spark of life, no matter how minimul or faint. The hunter however locks on to a scent with the intent of sqaushing out that fire, or spark, not rejoicing till it has been exstinguished and his kill complete.

So the future is yours to write, as the beast that stalks your steps is also yours to claim. Is it hunter, or searcher, that hounds your movments. That too is for you to decide. Just remember the time for you to make this decision is now, and not when the fangs of a hunter are around your throat.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Hi Alantis, I love your post.

Yes, activity on this site is way down. As I explained somewhere a few days ago, I am feeling very boring. I have no progress to report, only whining about lack of it. But I'm trying to shake myself out of my stupor, and get back to work, and to participating more actively. 

Sitting in my dark corner and sulking is doing me no good. Time to snap out of it. I have set a goal for myself, get my first four chapters of Sly! in shape to self-pub as a novella, by fall. 

Don't give up on this site, I believe it will spring back.

Atthys is popping up sporadically, thank God.
Carl, who knows what he's up to?
GD, where the hell are you
LeeAnna's working her ass off. She gets a pass, sort of.
Jay's given up on us, it seems. Too bad. I enjoyed his point of view.
Angela's made herself scarce also. 

What gives, you guys? Do you feel as blah as I do? Or are you churning out gobs of great stuff and can't pull yourself away? 

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 2:13 PM

Hi!

I know a lot of people are participating in the Summer Writing Camp. There are hits on there daily. But we are in our lull. This site goes through seasons where there will be a ton of activity, and then people go do their own thing. We'll see them again. We writers are a funny bunch.

And yes, I have been working my ass off while watching my blog hits run away from me. I did some book reviews recently that people have been kind enough to post other places. I guess this will be good when I query. 
Alantis
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:51 PM

Well it would seem that there is still a small spark of life left here after all. I am on the scent, and it is time to fan the flames into an all consuming fire that burns within each of us. (At least I will go down in flames if that fails)

Hello Mimi, pleasure to meet you so to speak. I have spent many an hour thumbing through some of your discussions. Thank you for giving me things to take from and run with. It takes a village to raise an idiot, but if you get stuck on your arse, then you need to get up....or something like that.

LeeAnne - If you are refering to the Summer Challenge thing for 500 words, I have to say that is not "participating" to me. It is eerily similiar to F----book. "I got ice cream and shared with my dog", rather than any real discussion. I applaud those that can just check in, without lying, and stay on track. I would need a shock collar, 24hr monitoring, and an electric fence around my house for me to do anything but what I "should" be doing. Personally, I have the attention span of a nat, and constantly need to be engaged if I am to ever accomplish more than drool on my keyboard. (ADHD + OCD + APTR + FIMBD + someothers = ME)

SO I can spend time talking to myself, which my doctor says is okay as long as I don't answer, or I can run screaming through the discussions until I find others who refuse to lay down and become stagnate. I SHALL RAISE MY ARMY, and march on the fortress of boredom where we will systematically stomp a hole in its arse, or at least have one hell of a time doing it.

Thank you both for responding and giving me something to write about.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:37 PM

Alantis (I keep wanting to call you Atlantis)

I will review your book after I finish Perry's. Glad to have you with us.

RJBlain
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:10 PM

I'm hiding in the woodworks. I don't have a lot of time for doing things outside of my work, so I don't get to review a lot or very often.

This is the only workshopping site I haven't completely retired from because it holds a very soft spot in my heart since I'm one of the original beta fishies.
Alantis
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 11:21 PM

I would answer to Atlantis - the name of a great mythical city that was told to be the center of the world in its' time. Where wisdom and insight was common place, yep, they named it after me. HAHA

I appreciate any review, but what I appreciate is the opportunity to "talk". I get so bogged down in my story, or wrapped up in what I happen to be reading at the moment, Robert Jordan's "The Great Hunt", that I often get tunnel vision and the great wheel of time continues to turn without care for what I may accomplish, or not accomplish. Having people who engage me, and hopefully others, allow me to break free from the tower prison of my mind and search for some new, and hopefully entertaining, thoughts.

Mimi - perhaps without intending to, you have done just that. Seeing your words, or hearing your challenges from different discussions makes me want to write more. Maybe not in my book, ever the procrastinator, but at least it is writing. THANK YOU, even if you do not realize for what.

RJBlain -  Your work was one of the first things I read that gave me hope that I was amoungst good, even great, writers here. I hope you never give up this site. Your words about reviewing helped me and I continue to grow from them with each work I read and review. DO NOT EVER LEAVE.

Good day friends, I hope we can continue this witty back and forth, perhaps drawing others out of their hiding spots?

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 12:03 AM

Alantis - I understand procrastination well. I could have all my writing piled before me, and would probably start folding a bouquet of origami flowers before I touched any of it. I've been better behaved of late, but it's still a bit like pulling teeth.
Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 10:16 AM

I would just like to point out that despite all the wishes and prayers to the contrary, I awoke today well and in good spirits. I think some ninja tried to kill me in my sleep, or it could have been my dog who tries to choke me by laying across my neck. Either way, I survived and I am back.

Mimi - Thank you again. I placed a small snipit of hope calling for life, you were the first to respond, and look what was created on the site. Quite alot of activity. This place truely does still have a spark of life left to it and I am glad it only takes a small fan to bring it back.

LeeAnn - Origami, you have better attention than I. I would organize the stack of paper (my book) cuz everything must be in order, then I would pet my dogs (they need attention to), I'd check something on the internet, then I would need water, then I would notice the plants need water, oh look, a hummingbird outside, wait, did someone knock (no by the way), oh, the puppy wants to play catch, I need to go to the store for dog treats.....You get the idea. That is the ongoing struggle to write. The weird part is that the more I try to force myself, the faster those thoughts seem to come. My wife always laughs at me and says, "Oh look, shiney" because anything, and I mean anything, can stop me in mid-sentence and drag me away. (at least until the next thing does) My creativeness comes in bursts. I can sit down and hammer out a chapter or 2, then nothing for weeks, then 2 more chapters. Mind you, I have 1000 things that keep me away from the keyboard. Hahaha, I just zoned out and realized...Origami flowers, I would be playing tug a war with those napkins long before they came close to resembling flowers.

So that was my end, the thoughts left as fast as they came. I will close with this. HELLO WORLD. I am glad to see that there are those of us that still choose to be heard. I look forward to some spirited discussions as the days progress. (Or you come after me with a lynch-mob, which would be fun too, till ya caught me) Bob and weave, bob and weave, WAIT, shiney.......

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 10:19 AM

Damn you stupid chew toy...it got me before I remembered the question of the day. So I wanted to know about different languages in writing. Anyone know where a good place to drop the question (and get an answer) would be? Trying to keep this thread light, and fun, an semi social.

Thanks ya'll, HAVE A GREAT DAY.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 11:36 AM

Alantis, I have found things to keep me occupied instead of writing. Oh, look. The dishes need done. The dog needs walked. And now he needs affection. Etcetera, etcetera.

I used to be the same way when it came to creativity in spurts until I sat down every day to write. You don't even need to have a certain word count. You could just stare at the screen for 10 minutes. Disciplining your mind and body to write every day in the same spot or time will help the words flow. It is a proven way to break writer's block - which I refuse to believe exists - and make it where you can write any time, any where.
Perry Tercel
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 1:33 PM
Thanks for another thread, Mimi, and thanks for your time on my review.

I think getting caught up, in life, is something we take for granted. (Yes, I said 'granted'.) Instead of viewing life for its content of the, mostly, positive things, we gloss over those and take note of all the times we were 'mishandled'. (Even when we've done it to ourselves.) At those points, we seldom have the ambition to turn them into 'positives'; our 'vain pride' makes sure of that -there's always something or someone to blame.
I am thankful when my pain is gone, but even more thankful when I've worked through, those times, and came out stronger on the other side. (And this does not have to pertain to 'physical' pains, only.) I, of course, contribute it to my faith, but I look for 'it' -the moments of grace- in each person, place, or event. When darkness looks to be at its darkest, I want to find the quality in it: I'm still alive. I'm not taking that for granted.

Umm... what was the question? Oh, drat! I thought I was on "The Meaning of Life:  Where is it Kicking You, Now?" Sorry...
Gotta go, though. I want to finish a couple of reviews, cooking, and then do some of my own book revisions.
Later days, peeps.

Alantis
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 6:45 PM

LeeAnna - (Sorry for getting it wrong on the last post) I can force myself to write, but it feels forced. A truth about me, I have no dillusions of grander. I might someday get published, (seriously?), but there is so many others that reach a level I doubt I ever could. While I was laying up after a fall at work, and going though the surgeries to get my back fixed, I began the telling of the tale, so to speak. It was entertaining, and I found it was a way to avoid visits from people becoming a pity party....I hate that. More so, I wanted the kids, and my grandkids, to have fun, and not sit around watching people cry and be sad. I decided, while I was alone during this time, that I could write the stories down, so I had content for them when they came, rather than winging it all the time. As it progressed, the book took shape. But my asperations are much lower than some. If I could get a book completed, and have it a good read, I could leave it for future generations. My kids could tell stories about grandpa and read to their kids. A way to keep my memory alive. Would I shun a publisher, no, no more than I would throw out a winning lottery ticket. But I think my odds are the same for either.

(Fun fact: A man my age group, which is blank, has a 30,000 to 1 chance of dying each year. I have a 3 billion to 1 chance of winning the lottery. (I figure the same for getting published) My luck, They would all happen at once.)

I will take staying above ground another year as a win, and not rush the others. Don't want to be greedy.

Would I like to be able to write it all down and be "good" at it, sure. But this has been a fun journey, and I am not ready for it to end. 

I do appreciate advice, I never want to stop growing, as a person, or author (I prefer humble scribbler for myself), or whatever. So I do appreciate help, even criticism, but I would be just as happy if I helped someone else get published. I may be jealous of all the money, but just as happy.

I came to this site when all the reads from friends and family became the same, "It is good, keep going". I know BS when I hear it. So I review, and hopefully learn, and I take the reviews, and try to do better.

I am actually hoping to meet a writer before they are famous so I can copy our chats and sell them later. HA, or even show up at a book signing so I can look important we they acknowledge me.

How is Fairfield? I moved to Idaho from the Napa Valley, but my daughter is still there, in Fairfield. I like the slower lifestyle here, but miss the area. Just a random thought. Oh and look, something shiney....

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2013 10:51 PM

It's nice here, but I miss the desert. I'm from Vegas, so this is a big change. I'm used to mountains a rainbow of shades, shrubby green plants, and lots of rocks.
Alantis
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:46 PM

Well I guess it is all taste. My grandmother has been trying to give me property "outside" of Vegas and I have no interest. I would have to move, or she won't give it to me. So I remain in Idaho. Have you been to Lake Berryessa? Or Sonoma? Even a drive through Napa Valley (not the town, but the actual valley). There are some breathtaking sites. It is forest, not desert though.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 11:35 AM

A long time ago I saw those places. I was just a kid, but I want to see them again. My mother was actually born in Idaho. The white house her Swiss ancestors built is still there.

Outside of Vegas is very different than being inside the city. The outskirts is slower, especially since construction slowed down. The city actually has a pretty large small business community. It's what saved us when the recession hit. I admit, the desert isn't for everyone. Especially if you like green.
Alantis
Posted: Wednesday, June 5, 2013 7:54 PM

Yes, I do miss the scenery. This part of Idaho is considered 'high desert' and it leaves alot to be desired. But 30 min in any direction and you can have it all. With the slower lifestyle, it makes it okay.
I have built houses, or done construction, all over the state of California, and Napa has some of the prettiest sites. I mainly say this because I like oak trees over pine...so that might stop some protesters.
Me and anywhere around Vegas...vacation only. Even if I was given the 5 acre lot. Just not my cup of tea.

Alantis
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2013 10:08 AM

LeeAnna (and any others lurking in the shadows or under the bed)

I am starting a free write challenge.

SUMMER SLACKER'S PARAGRAPH PILE OF REDONKULOUS WRITING CHALLENGE.

Stop by and see if you are interested in doing it.

Couldn't send a recommendation because just following you and not connected, sorry.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:59 PM

Hey, gang. Yes, it's been a while. And though my name was not mentioned in the earlier list of well-known BC members (I feel like I'm back in high school again. Thanks, btw), I am here. I decided to take on the writing challenge and pretty much overhauled my fantasy book chapters. I'm trying to be serious about writing, but life has also kept me away from BC, much to my chagrin. 
Alantis, enjoyed reading your first post on this thread.
I miss discussing things with all of you, and look forward to keeping a presence here, even if it's a more silent one until I publish my Great American Fantasy Novel. *snicker*
RG Hughes
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2013 4:17 PM

I started on Authonomy and found the folks very helpful and for the most part friendly.  A system glitch pushed me backwards in the ratings and I pulled my work, but I will post again with a new book I am working on.  I have found each site to have its strengths and weaknesses, and though I am new to this industry I find the challenge stimulating..  Bookcountry has some excellent discussion that is unfettered by the politics of the competitive ratings of some other sites, so it feels honest in its intent.  I like that.  So far the GUI of the new look seems confusing, but I am chalking that up to learning curve.  I look forward to getting to know other authors and learning the craft.

Randy

Lucy Silag
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:07 PM

Hiya, @Laura Dwyer! So exciting that you've done such a thorough revision of your work and are getting so much done this spring and summer. That is seriously inspiring to me and WHAT a major accomplishment for you! *confetti!*

Also just wanted to say hi to everyone in this thread as I am poking around getting to know the Book Country community. It is so exciting to be here with everybody. Please don't hesitate to connect or to get in touch with questions about the new Book Country site.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Mari Adkins
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2013 6:25 PM
i'm still here.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, August 1, 2013 1:05 PM

Welcome, all the new voices. As for the old gang, where are they?

From my private conversations with some of them, it seems that many have chosen to sit out the reinvention of the site, to let the dust settle, to watch and wait. I miss you guys!

--edited by Mimi Speike on 8/1/2013, 9:35 PM--

Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2013 5:25 AM

Hello, Everyone!

I think site activity will rise again, especially now that our followed discussions and books are readily available from the home page.

Cheers!

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2013 6:51 PM

Their addition of the stream is most welcome. It's easier to find what I'm looking for now.

I'm hoping to be more active soon since I'm trying to get the chapters I've revised up on here. I still have some transcribing to do. (15 in all! 20 more to go.) The new count of drafts makes it a bit difficult to upload a new chapter to be viewed without throwing up the number to ridiculous highs. (Mine is at 52, even though I've only had like 5 drafts of the entire novel.) I also have a new book description I'm going to debut. I'm quite proud of it, despite that in real life it may truly suck. Only sharing it will tell.

Angela and Laura have new stuff up too, so I'm looking forward to reading that.

TrevorS
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:52 PM

Hi all,

It doesn't get less 'usual suspect' than me. Brand new here, second post on Book Country, and with viewpoints that you might not have heard. Nice to be here.

My name is Trevor, I'm old, but since age is only a state of mind, it is irrelevant. I write non-fiction, and have sometimes learnt so much from what real folks do, that I delve into the odd piece of fiction too. And erotica, but I've not done that for some time now.

I'm looking for a home, like the Boll Weevil, and Book Country looks and feels comfortable.

I live in the UK, in West Sussex, the ancient home of Aelfred the Great.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

kind regards

Trevor

Lucy Silag
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:01 PM

Hi there, Trevor! Welcome to Book Country. We're so excited that you are here. I am a big memoir fan so I am looking forward to checking out your writing here on the site.

Has this blog post made its way to you yet? It's our guide for getting started workshopping your writing on Book Country. Check it out--it's got some helpful tips in there (plus two video tutorials, which I think are really cool).

Let me know if you need any help navigating the site!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Jump to different Forum...